Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Mexican Hot Chocolate

I grew up with Mexican Hot Chocolate made from Ibarra chocolate squares and condensed milk, a rich and spicy treat that Swiss Miss just can't touch even with mini marshmallows. I usually get a craving for it in the evening after I've put my little one down and have finished my chores. Since I never have the ingredients on hand, because well I never think about it until after 8pm, I am usually left with Swiss Miss. Until now that is! I found a recipe from Rachel Ray (that actually works!) and it uses ingredients I almost always have on hand. With a few adaptations I'd say it actually gives Ibarra a run for its money! Even though it's just me, I went ahead and made the whole batch. I love Mexican mochas, so I put the leftovers in a mason jar and will try it in my morning coffee. I will let you know how that turns out, but I anticipate it will be divine!

Mexican Hot Chocolate
Serves 4

Ingredients:
4 cups milk (whatever you have on hand will do)
1 cup chocolate chips
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon chile powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch Cayenne pepper
Pinch salt

Directions:
In a large saucepan, combine all the ingredients over medium heat, whisking constantly, until hot but not boiling, about 8 minutes (the mixture should smooth). Note: Mine never got smooth, but I have never had truly smooth Mexican hot chocolate.

UPDATE:
My Mexican mocha this morning was good, but needed improvement. It didn't taste enough like Mexican chocolate and it didn't taste enough like coffee. If I were making this recipe exclusively for use in Mexican mochas I would alter it some. I would also brew my coffee double my usual strength. The recipe that follows is what I would do:

Mexican Mochas
Serves 4-6 depending on how much "Mexican mocha mix" you use.

Ingredients:
4 cups milk (whatever you have on hand will do)
1 1/3 cups chocolate chips
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon chile powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch Cayenne pepper
Pinch salt

Directions:
In a large saucepan, combine all the ingredients over medium heat, whisking constantly, until hot but not boiling. Mix with brewed coffee to your liking and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment