Monday, June 20, 2011

Pumpkin 2 for 1

I have several freezer bags of pumpkin that I put away last Fall and need to use up before the next crop is ready, so I have been looking for creative ways to use it up. I don't usually explore beyond the safety of my favorite pumpkin muffins, so I really had to stretch myself here. I tried two different recipes and am so glad that I did. I am more excited about this Fall's pumpkin crop than I have been in years! And yes, I do realize it is only June.

The first recipe I tried was pumpkin pancakes. I consider myself a connoisseur of pancakes and these were hands down THE best pancakes I have ever eaten! The texture was inexpressibly wonderful! You just have to try them! I used yogurt as opposed to buttermilk. I imagine that if you use buttermilk you will need less additional liquid to thin the batter to the desired consistency than I needed. The recipe made enough for four servings, which could have easily been stretched to six if I'd served eggs and bacon or sausage.

Pumpkin Pancakes
adapted from Trying it Traditional
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup cultured buttermilk or yogurt
  • 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1 egg
  • 1tsp baking soda
  • 1 Tbsp butter, melted
  • 1 Tbsp honey
  • 1/4 tsp ginger
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp ground allspice
  • 1/4 tsp cloves
  • Additional milk or buttermilk as needed
  1. Combine flour with yogurt or buttermilk the night before you plan to make the pancakes. Allow to sit at room temperature to soak for at least 12 hours.
  2. Combine all remaining ingredients.  Add milk to get the proper consistency for pancakes (this varies depending on your pumpkin puree, yogurt vs buttermilk, personal preference, etc. 
  3. Serve with butter, a sprinkle of cinnamon, and real maple syrup.
 
The second recipe I made was inspired by Tracey's Culinary Adventures. I felt like the pumpkin flavor was much more noticeable in this application and I loved the texture it gave to the oatmeal. I didn't add any nuts or dried fruit because I was aiming for a pumpkin pie taste and texture combination. I think I nailed it!

Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal
  • 1 cup thick rolled oats
  • 1 Tbsp whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 Tbsp acid medium (whey, cultured buttermilk, yogurt, kefir, or lemon juice)
Combine and cover. Soak at room temperature for 12-24 hours.
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 1 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 1/4 tsp each: cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger
Combine all ingredients with soaked oats in a medium sauce pan. Bring to a boil over medium-low heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until done. Serve with butter and real maple syrup, or if you want to really indulge  - some freshly whipped cream!

I had a little bit of this leftover, but not quite enough for a serving so this morning I added it to a smoothie with spinach, frozen mixed berries, a banana, yogurt, and a splash of apple juice - oooooh my goodness it was delicious! My one year old had two glasses before I could finish mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment