Thursday, June 9, 2011

Soaked Whole Wheat Pancakes

Supposedly soaking your whole grains before eating them is better for you, read about it here - Kitchen Stewardship - How and Why to Soak Whole Grains, try it, and decide for yourself. I can say that in the few weeks that I have been trying to eat (mostly) soaked grains I feel fuller after a smaller meal, have lost a few pounds and generally I am happier, but maybe that has more to do with the sun finally making an appearance. I have noticed that when I soak my grains they have a sourdough-like smell and flavor to them that I do enjoy, but have had to adjust to in some applications.

On to the important stuff - I seriously LOVED this recipe and will definitely be making it again. I made the batter according to the directions below, but added mix-ins to order - chocolate chip, banana, huckleberry, and huckleberry-banana! The recipe said that the pancakes take longer to cook than regular pancakes, but I didn't find this to be true. It also make a ton! I fed two adults and four kids and still had leftovers with one batch!

Soaked Whole Wheat Pancakes
From The Nourishing Cook, originally from Norishing Traditions.

Ingredients
2 cups freshly ground soft white wheat
2 cups cultured buttermilk
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons butter, melted

Instructions
Soak flour in buttermilk on the counter for 12-24 hours. After soaking time, stir in other ingredients and add water to desired consistency (When I made my last batch of butter I saved the water from my first wash and used it here). Cook on a hot, oiled griddle or cast iron skillet.

No comments:

Post a Comment